Saturday, June 09, 2012

Welcome to my View from the Bottom

Hola folks!

This is my first time trying anything like this, a lady at work suggested it to me and I thought I'd give it a try. WHY I decided to give it a try whilst in the midst of unpacking my shit into a new apartment and nursing a mild hangover is beyond me. But fuck it, I'm here. Deal with it.

Basically I have opinions and I want them to be heard. Read. Whatever. There's not gonna be a specific theme to anything I write, I'm just gonna ramble on about stuff and hopefully people start reading and maybe laugh a little. Little bit of forewarning, any insults or derogatory remarks are directed at those responsible for the blatant stupidity I'm talking about at any given point, not at you, dear reader/readerette.

There's kinda heaps happening at the moment so I'm gonna start with the most generally popular thing I can think of - TV.

Specifically that new Arrow show that's coming to the CW soon. I just watched the trailer for it over at ign.com (legendary site by the way. Fucking amazing.) and I mean, Christ, REALLY?! CW, you are so far off the mark with this thing, I swear to Christ it's literally killing me.



Forget the shitty acting for a second. For the benefit of the CW, let's just go through the list of what this trailer presented us:

1. Oliver Queen gets stranded on an island for x amount of time and whoops some drug dealers' asses. So far that's 50% right. Not bad.

2. He returns to his home Starling City. WRONG. It's Star City, Dickwads. I can understand why you extended it to Starling, for the whole 'realism' bit. But I mean, fuck, the greatest stories this character has ever had were set in Seatle, otherwise known to the rest of the world as a REAL FUCKING CITY.

3. He has parents and a family? WRONG. They died way back in the day. A hunting accident or something. Read the fucking comics CW.

4. You don't know it from the trailer but the broad he's saying he's sorry to, the love interest, is supposed to be Dinah Lance aka Black Canary. FUCK OFF! They never met until well AFTER he became a vigilante, something she's supposed to be as well. Also, don't give a playboy a fucking love interest, play it Bond style. Part of what makes Oliver Queen such an awesome character is the fact that despite his life altering stay on that island, he's still a deeply flawed character. He still bangs everything with two tits and a heart beat. To the point where he has not one but TWO bastard sons to TWO separate women. The island didn't change him into a good person, it just gave him skills and altered his life priorities.

5. He's killing people. Willingly. Which is just WRONG. Read The Longbow Hunters. He killed his first bad guy in that story and it tore him up inside. He's not a killer. He's not The Punisher.

6. A black outfit and just 'Arrow' as his vigilante name? For fuck sake, CW. The guy is the GREEN FUCKING ARROW! Put him in a green hoody and some green pants.

Characters aren't open to interpretation, CW. They can evolve like people can, but you can't go and mess with the basic fundamentals of what makes a certain character who they are. Would you give Batman back his parents? No. Would you make James Bond a shy, mumbling loser? No. It just wouldn't work. And that's why it won't work with Arrow.

If any of you at home reading this want to know more about Green Arrow and see where the CW are getting it all wrong for yourselves, I recommend you go down to your local comic book shop (or Amazon) and buy the following Green Arrow books-
-The Longbow Hunters
-Year One
-The Wonder Year
-Quiver
-The Sounds of Violence
-All of the Judd Winnick run.


I'm a big Cardiff City FC fan. Love 'em to bits. We just rebranded to a new crest (see above) and a red kit. This is after 102 years of wearing blue and having that little Bluebird up there as our main feature on the badge. Massive, massive uproar back home over it. BUT, I'm down with it. So long as chief executive Alan Whiteley makes sure that this isn't the beginning of some larger identity rape from the Malaysian owners.

And to the fans I say this -

Peace and Love

Sam

No comments: